Monday, September 21, 2009

Nostalgia & Pretty, New Things

I did some much needed retail therapy today. Although I didn't buy much, I somehow managed to wander the store for almost three hours. It was exactly what I needed—mindless and fabulous.

I walked out of the store with three items, none of which were a wallet. Ha!

I found a gorgeous burnt orange pleated-bib blouse (Nine West, on clearance for $10!) for interviews/formal business events, a pair of low retro-looking red pumps (Madden Girl), and this adorable bracelet.

Sweetheart Bracelet

I wish I knew who made it. I'm kind of in love with it.

The shopping definitely brightened my day. I am a firm believer in retail therapy. In high school, during fights with friends or significant others, I wandered to the local Hobby Lobby to browse craft supplies and fabric for hours on end. These days, I like to stop by Rag O Rama (aka "Avalon Exchange" as of earlier this year; it is still Rag O Rama to me), Timeless Authentic Garments, or the always fantastic TJ Maxx.

I am listening to PARK, an ex-Springfield, Ill., emo band (and a guilty pleasure for us lucky kids who used to see them during our hometown scene's glory days), on headphones. Is it 2004? It very well might be, since I definitely wore torn jeans and a black tank top out tonight. Thankfully, I've upgraded from back-pocket-less flares to skinnies and a black hoodie to a plaid shrunken blazer.

Despite the desperate need for purchasing pretty things, the day was good. After the editorial meeting and shopping, I came home and worked on newspaper things. Then, around eight, I went to Benedict Arnold's band practice and hung out with the guys. I'd say today was an all-around success.

Tomorrow will hopefully be equally as nice. I'll be in class from 12-9, with a break or two thrown in. Another long day. I think I'll leave early enough to grab a skinny vanilla latte on my way in. Nothing makes algebra more bearable than coffee.

I'm anxiously awaiting a few internet purchases. I ordered a Moleskine Pocket Memos book (I'm a total Moleskine snob; I just can't get enough), along with some new business cards. Hopefully, they will be here when I get home, making a long day much more exciting. After all, a little shopping thrown in helps even the bleakest day.

No comments:

Post a Comment