Sunday, September 20, 2009

Wallet Woes

Today at work I helped a woman dig a card out of her wallet. It was stuck deep down in a shockingly tight pocket, and she couldn't get it out by herself.

Later on, a different customer mentioned, after I complimented hers, that finding the perfect wallet is one of the hardest shopping tasks. And I'm starting to agree.

I have been dissatisfied with my wallet for a while. For the last few years, off and on, I have been carrying a pale pink vintage leather pouch with a few small pockets and a zippered coin pouch. Although I still adore the thing (which costs me a mere ten cents at a yard sale), it has lost its shape and strength over time.

Last week I switched back to a wallet I bought in 2007 on clearance at Urban Outfitters. It is a somewhat-slim, armored teal leather zip-around. Although I love it, it is very heavy. And the life of the zipper is starting to be questioned.

So I find it important that I prepare early for my possible upcoming wallet loss.

When I begin looking for anything new, I automatically turn to Marc by Marc Jacobs. I really love the Totally Turnlock Zip Wallet, $138.00 at Bluefly. It looks spacious, but doesn't seem overwhelming. And who doesn't love his classic turnlock pieces?

But, alas, if I spend $138.00 on a wallet, I will have no money to put in it. So I stared browsing Betsey Johnson's website, in hopes of finding something more reasonable. Her Little Bow Pleat Checkbook is very sweet, but is still $125.00 and doesn't show any inside detail pictures.

Then I found what may be it... the perfect replacement. The Gianni Chiarini 'Athene' Clutch in Olive, available for $88.00 at Nordstrom, seems ideal. It's a classic leather envelope with better storage.

But have I bought it yet? No. I am being picky and it is bothersome.

Odds are, I'll search vintage Etsy, second-hand stores and sale bins until my current wallet dies. When it comes to accessories like purses and wallets, I need to make sure they fit; not me, of course, but all of my stuff. I'm a sucker for club cards (hello, Starbucks Gold, Sephora Beauty Insider, CVS Extra Care, Kerasotes Five Buck Club, Borders Rewards, T.G.I. Friday's Give Me More Stripes, The Club at Ulta, just to name a few...)

Needless to say, I have to have a wallet that can hold its own. And then some.

No comments:

Post a Comment