Thursday, October 15, 2009

Saint Louis Fashion Week - Project: Design!

Last night was the first show of this year's Saint Louis Fashion Week. To my surprise, it was even better than last year.

LLG Fashion Week 2009 1
Dress, H&M; Belt, Hot Topic; Bracelet, Marc Jacobs; Earrings, Liz Clairborne.

The reception at the Lumière was very entertaining, with the mix of local painters working, massages being given, and barely-legals downing their complimentary Bud Lights at record speed. The beautiful heels worn were only overwhelemed by the undeniably tipsy wearers.

But enough sarcasim. It really was an absolute ball.

I was lucky enough to snag a second row seat again this year. It was great seeing the models up close, but it was even better seeing Stacy and Clinton from What Not To Wear!

LLG Fashion Week 2009 10

Yes, that's right. They came and ambushed a poor girl who appeared to desperately need their help.

The show started after finishing some "reaction shots." Wednesday's event was entitled Project: Design!, and was hosted by Project Runway season 4 runner up, Jillian Lewis.

The first collection, Evil Kitty, featured a few details I fully enjoyed, like exposed zippers and cap sleeves. However, the rest of it seemed to be light blue velour gone wrong. The designer's pieces I had seen prior to the show were beautiful. I'm not sure why she chose these.

LLG Fashion Week 2009 9

The second collection, Jelek, won the $30,000 grand prize. I was fairly disappointed. Although the tightly pleated bodices were very impressive, the skirts on most of the outfits seemed poorly constructed.

LLG Fashion Week 2009 8

Next came Jennifer Neal Clothing, one of my personal favorites. It was like gothic hipster bondage (quite a mouthful, eh?) and I adored it.

LLG Fashion Week 2009 7

After that was by far the most wearable collection, Katie Kantley. The shirt dresses she made looked unbelievably delicate, and her choice of coordinating muted colors was perfect. I had my fingers crossed for her.

LLG Fashion Week 2009 6

Then came Kristian Cortez, a collection that seemed beautiful and perfectly made and ever so slightly lackluster. Perhaps I was still just lusting over Katie Kantley's minidresses.

LLG Fashion Week 2009 5

The final contestant was a collaboration entitled Trashbiscuit. The outfits were half-naked and possibly hot-glued. But it was amazing watching it all go down the runway. There was a fantastic pleather dominatrix stewardess number that I somehow did not get a photo of. I think I could have watched their stuff all night. Fuck, at least it is something different, y'know?

LLG Fashion Week 2009 4

After the finalists finished, Jillian Lewis showed her latest collection. In my opinion, it was very hit and miss.

For example, she had several tops including this abstract ribbon pattern, which I adored.

LLG Fashion Week 2009 3

On the other hand, she made several huge mistakes with knits, including wide-knit nude Daisy Dukes and this pointed shoulder sweater dress. It looks like an outfit made for cybor-grandmother.

LLG Fashion Week 2009 2

After the show ended, Ricky (who had been playing poker, and won $50)and I headed over to Fubar and saw The Creep Show. Hell yes.

Can this week get any better?

No comments:

Post a Comment