Monday, October 19, 2009

Saint Louis Fashion Week - Surface

My sincerest apologies for not updating sooner. Apparently my previous week and a half has caught up with me in the form of the cold from hell. After 36 hours of sleep and a gallon of orange juice, I think I’m doing just fine.

STL Fashion Week Surface 1
Vest, BDG.; Skirt, H&M; Shirt, Forever Twenty-One; Jewelry, vintage.

Saturday’s show at Fashion Week was wonderful. Due to ride issues, I took a taxi into the city and hung out at the Lumière coffee shop, Peet’s, until the before party started. I enjoyed my last evening of free hors d'oeuvres and Borbas, which I am seriously now addicted to and wishing they weren’t insanely overpriced. I managed to snag a few brief interviews, asking all how the designs shown this week could transition for college students.

Tinypants, the men’s designer and sales/marketing director of Love Brigade, recommended the versatility and comfort of jersey-knit onesies. “You could throw a jacket over it and dress it up.”

Allyce King, head designer of Allyce King Designs and DIY Style, encouraged more college students to sew their own clothing. She explained the costs of making a jacket from scratch as opposed to buying one brand new. She also recommended “a lot of exposed zippers. All you have to do is slap it on and stitch around it.”

Jeff Stevens, TRIM partner, explained how each piece of TRIM clothing has a piece of interior fabric from a vintage car. “Bringing back vintage styles, mixing and mashing it up,” said Stevens, while giving his style advice. “What’s the next thing?”

I also ran around like a crazy person with business cards, networking myself to death in a final attempt to take advantage of the wonderful situation. Fashion and journalism have a lot in common; it’s all about selling yourself.

The show, Surface, included designers Skif, Wrath Aracane and Nice Collective. Skif’s designers reminded me of the occasional sweaters you can find on one of my guy friends; a bit tattered, thin and worn, loosely knit. The oversized, drapey garments were paired with large 1980s-themed jewelry. The entire look was rather homeless-hippie-chic, and reminded me of resort-wear in winter.

STL Fashion Week Surface 5

STL Fashion Week Surface 4

Wrath Aracane’s designs were practical and wearable; they were casual comfort with a slight twist. For example, my favorite piece was a men’s button down shirt with a black stripe going down the chest. It was like a mock skinny tie. Their pieces also included double pockets and necklines, which I really liked.

STL Fashion Week Surface 3

Nice Collective seemed to mainly include natural colors in unnatural fibers, such as a soft white cotton top mixed with black shiny plastic-looking bottoms. The collection included a lot of dark seersucker and angled pockets. The overall effect was oversized military casual.

STL Fashion Week Surface 2

STL Fashion Week 6

Since then, I have been asleep. I guess I knew somewhere in the back of my head that living like this couldn’t last forever. Sleeping when I can and getting 75% of my daily vitamins and minerals from black coffee can only last so long.

In my hazy, cold-medicine state, I was able to realize something of the upmost importance. Thinking I’m going back to my real life of working and studying all God damn day is a terrible way to look at things. Who says this wasn’t real life? Maybe if I keep kicking my way to the top, this will be nothing more than the average work week.

I love my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment