Monday, September 20, 2010

Because adorable things make a happy Julia.

I promise, I'm not forgetting my blog yet again. Blogger has been acting funny, and I am exhausted and way too busy.


A quick and simple way to cheer myself up is by looking at pretty things on the internet. Virtual shopping is a wonderful, mood-lifting hobby, even if I don't ever go for my credit card or add anything to my cart.


What kind of internet eyecandy can possibly do the job when I'm this stressed out? Happy, silly, kitsch-ish items. For example, cartoon jewelry.


I am as picky with cartoons as I am with purses. Really, I think I'm just picky about a lot of things, but there's no need to go into that (yet.) There is a fine line between cute/sweet/fun and tacky/cheap/unfortunate. I've noticed most of the cartoon jewelry I adore is enamel, or something similar (cough, rarely plastic) and a bit muted in color. Simple charms with a single, cheeky icon make me as happy as Saturday morning cartoons.




Tarina Tarantino does a great job of making characters look more like pop art and less like quarter machine finds (although, I have found a few great quarter machine deals.. I'm personally a fan of the ridiculous, attachable mustaches.) Her Barbie, Alice in Wonderland, and Hello Kitty lines are adorable, excluding a few waaayy too over the top pieces and the hippy-inspired crap. I love the necklaces and earrings, but seem to be let down by the bracelets. For that price, I feel more comfortable with chains and clasps, as opposed to elastic bands and slip-ons. But back to the positive.. Who doesn't love Barbie? Especially retro Barbie? She's a doctor, she's a teacher, she's a princess, she's an astronaut, she's on the beach looking modest yet seductive. She's Barbie, c'mon!






Do I talk about Marc Jacobs enough? Probably not. I am sort of kind of madly in love with his Miss Marc character.


Although technically not a cartoon, Juicy Couture's sweet charms add the same level of holyshitthatscute. I have a thing for charm bracelets, and would love to start collecting theirs, starting with this ice cream dish. You can't beat the little details.

Speaking of the little details, I have a handful of itty bitty assignments due soon. Back to work (for now!)

2 comments: